Recently, I received request from a regional administrator to migrate the settings of an in-house application when USMT ran. Since the settings were not part of the migration, he had to manually configure them each time. To do this, I created a custom xml file that is called when Scanstate and Loadstate run. Now, the settings are migrated and no manual configuration is required.
Microsoft has an excellent article on how to perform this. Below are the steps that I used along with some key information from Microsoft.
Note - The application that I migrated only had one version. Additional versions should be exained for changes in the settings to migrate.
- Confirmed all settings to migrate with the application owner.
- Created a virtual machine and installed Windows 7 on it. (Ensured no additional applications were installed.)
- Started Filemon and Regmon.
- Installed the application and monitored the installation for any registry or file changes using Filemon and Regmon.
- Checked the uninstall key in the registry and ensured that it was correct. (Used for detecting if the application is installed.)
- Created a new custom.xml file that contain the settings to migrate based on the information gathered during the monitoring in step 4.
- Tested the new migration settings by running Scanstate on an existing machine with the application installed (settings configured) and running Loadstate with the application installed (settings no configured).
- Confirmed that settings migrated properly and application performs properly.